Search This Blog

2017-09-19

Gear - Mono/Tri-pods



There are many situations in which a photographer may need to add to the camera's image stabilization and require either a mono-pod, or even a tripod. 


Let's see quickly some cases where this need may arise : 
  • Macro-photography, as indeed, being very close to a subject requires a very precise focusing. Even using a a bridge camera and a macro-attachement will mean that zooming will be limited to the maximum distance the attachement can tolerate. In my case, 21 cm from my subject. Using zoom over 15X ( focal length XX mm ) becomes quite difficult, and only a tripod can alleviate all the shaking. Under it, I can shoot hand-held and I often do, but the extra stability is always helpful.
  • Conversely, shooting subjects from far away also requires this extra stabilization, be it with a built-in zoom, or with any kind of lens that allows you to see closer (from telephoto converters to long lenses, digiscopes, and telescopes) . Ex nature photos, or space objects, even the moon
  • Low light, long exposure times also require additional stabilization.
  • If you plan to sell your photos or make enlargements, you will find that a tripod's stability is absolutely needed to avoid any blur showing up from wobbles caused by your hand movements.
  • I hike alone. If I want to be in the shot, I cannot use my bridge camera for a selfie so could theoretically use the tripod and timer *
  • Filming 
  • Panoramic photos - indeed, this is a must-have tool as it's the only way to insure your hand doesn't move away from an even panning of the landscape around. More on loadedlandscapes
Some places such as churches or museums won't allow you to use a tripod, but might agree on a monopod which is smaller...  If neither is allowed, you'll be limited by your camera and your own stability... I know for instance that when it's cold or dark, the task is a lot harder than a warm day... 





I had bought this koolehaoda monopod that turned but to be rubbish and which I sent back to the seller. 
This just doesn't seem to compete with the Manfrotto MF 560B-1 suggested in this Blunty video.  You'll understand my attempt to save cash by getting a 40€ model just doesn't reach the 170 US$ or 115 £... 

I tried this, because most models never offer the retractable feet seen in the left photo. If I can ever afford the manfrotto or another similar monopod, I'll probably get it for those few occasions where I cannot carry my Vanguard 2+KG set... 





I don't find choosing a monopod an easy task, and that most quality ones cost too much for my budget, so I decided to rely only on my tripod. 






Let me explain my process a bit.

In 2007, I knew nothing about this gear. I bought a Proveni PRO-TL06 for 29€, which was quite limited. Although for a cheap model it presented a hook to add stability like a more expensive model can, the panning head made noise every time I'd try to pan during my rare video filming, and the sound of it was quite noticeable. Much later, I learned this can be limited by regular cleaning and caring for the tripod - I'll link a few videos on another post.

The 3D panning head offered a bubble level, which can be useful to better compose a shot based on the floor's irregularities, after adjusting the each foot's height. 

Specs : 

Weight 1.4 kg. Supported 3.5 kg. Folded height 64 cm. Useful 60-160CM. Not quite my own height. 
Tubes diameter up to 2.5 cm, made fro aluminum. 

I loved that it was light weight, had a handle, and a system to quickly block the tripod and each part where I needed, but this proved problematic during winds. 

It was delivered with a carrying case.

As I learned to better choose a tripod, here are a few considerations I think may be useful to know :

  • It's better to save for a model you know will fulfil most or all your needs, rather than pay for a very cheap one and wait to upgrade. The cheapest models are a waste of money (and ressources, which is too bad, really).
  • Weight VS capacity & use. Often, the best is carbon fiber tripod, which is light and can carry a lot. But, this isn't part of everyone's budget, as they cost a lot. So, next, you need to find a compromise between those factors and your budget. Heavy models in a studio won't be a problem, but if you want to carry during a hike, you also have to count on the rest of your gear as well as any food, water and other tools you may take for your survival. My own hikes are never more than 6 hours, so I can carry as my best physical shape water, food, camera, a set of extra batteries, 2 filters, and my tripod. 
  • There are models which withstand better rapide and extreme weather conditions, or prose feet which can sink into mud and even water. Not all do that, but if you need that get the proper model.
  • There are specific tripods for filming, especially if you're using heavier cameras than bridge/DLR's. 
  •  Think to check your own height, and that of your tripod. Compare your tripod at full height before and after the center column - and check how stable this column remains if you need these extra cm's. I know in my case, as I suffer from scoliosis, I don't want to have to bend my back to see what I'm doing with the camera... My chosen tripod reflects my needs
  • How easy is this model to adjust before a shot ? 
  • How versatile do you need it ? For studios, a more basic tripod can be okay, but in some outdoors, you may need your tripod to come close to the ground, or have fully articulated legs or even need a reversible central column.
  • Always read and watch reviews on youtube and any website you may consider shopping from. Never rush in your decision. Compare. 
  • A well kept tripod can last you many years, and therefore paying extra cash for the best model you can afford is a better choice than cheapo ones. Save up, it's worth it! 
  • If you have different needs and goals, it's okay to have several tripods. One for hiking, one for travels (a model that folds better, for example), or one for your studio. 
Here are a few sources that I found helpful: 

Kay W from DigitalRev made these 2 funny videos, the first about reasons you may need a tripod (or not), the other compares resistance of several models. just know that if you use any of his hard-core tests, you'll probably find one or several of your own tripods broken or bent. 

This website discusses how to choose, in different wording and needs, and also alternatives.

My own model is a Vanguard Alta Pro263 AT, which is like a "nude" tripod, in the sense you must add some kind of head to it. I chose the SBH100 ball head. In fact, I managed to get them on a joint offer, 

Here are the tripods specs. (the website may be redirected to your country, as it detects IP's. But you can force it by selecting in the left side of the screen). 

It seems the ball head has been discontinued, so here are its specs


Towards the middle of the page, you'll see the above details. The best features which led me to choose this model over others were :


  • The screw adaptors allowing a wider range of camera models than my original tripod
  • The multi-angle central column (0-180°) 
  • Swivel function (ISSL from this photo) 
  • Reversible central column, allowing me to set the camera right to the ground 
  • Each leg can be adjust 25, 50 & 80°, individually, with a secured ergonomic button
  • Versatility, allowing so many angles and positions
  • Total height up to 132.5cm which can be extended to 165cm safely as the central column is very steady the lock system secures tightly. The ball head adds another 10.3 cm to this total height, which really helps for tall scoliosis persons like me
  • Max load 7KG, so if I ever upgrade to a DSLR and need to use a long-lens, I'll be ready! 
  • Easy-flip leg locks, rubber feet and retractable spikes
  • I wanted either Benbo trekker or gitzo carbon fibre gt3542 like Nature photographer Heather Angel uses and which are even more versatile as you can see in this video, but I couldn't get the first one in France, and the second is way out of my budget. So, my Vanguard set was the next best choice I could afford AND get in France, without incurring import taxes. 
Some factors for the ball head :

  • Supports up to 10Kg. If ever change or add a "nude" tripod which can also support that, I can just transfer the head
  • As I said, it adds 10.3 cm to the tripod total height 
  • 2 more level bubbles to add to the tripod's 
  • Pans a whole 360°, graduated, which will help my panoramic photos once I actually start 
  • Tilts +90 to -35° 
  • Separate pan & tilt locking knobs. Very helpful if you want to tilt without the camera tilting, and vice-versa. 
  • Weighs only 450gr 
  • Delivered with 2 QS39 quick release plates ; compatible both with 1/4''-20 3/8'' and 16 thread sizes

No comments:

Post a Comment